Updated: Jul 11, 2022
As many of you are aware, debate on the implementation of the Emergencies Act continues today and a vote "for confirmation of the declaration of emergency" is expected to take place on Monday, February 21, 2022.
The Conservative Party and the Bloc Québécois party are expected to vote against the motion introduced by the Liberals.
The NDP and the Green parties have not indicated their stance yet.
Additionally, we have recently seen Liberal MPs Joël Lightbound and Yves Robillard speak out about Prime Minister Trudeau's handling of the pandemic so there may be some MPs within the NDP, Green and Liberal party ranks that are considering voting against the motion.
With little time before the vote, we need to email NDP, Green and Liberal MPs and urge them to vote against the implementation of the Emergencies Act!
CALL TO ACTION:
Email the following points to the list of NDP and Liberal MPs noted below:
EMAIL SUBJECT LINE: Vote no on the implementation of the Emergencies Act
I am urging you to vote no on the implementation of the Emergencies Act on February 21, 2022 for the following reasons:
1. Section 3 of the Emergencies Act spells out the circumstances under which it may be invoked. These are:
a. A national emergency that seriously endangers the lives, health or safety of Canadians and is of such proportions or nature as to exceed the capacity or
authority of a province to deal with it, or
b. A national emergency that seriously threatens the ability of the Government of Canada to preserve the sovereignty, security, and territorial integrity of
Neither of these conditions are met.
2. Accusations of widespread intimidation and violence on the part of convoy participants, or of racist or homophobic behaviour, are utterly false. They were first made by Mr. Trudeau and other government leaders to marginalize and vilify convoy participants and have since been repeated by so-called journalists who simply repackage what they have read from other sources without verifying the facts for themselves.
3. The Freedom Convoy has been both very peaceful and cooperative, with a dramatic decrease in crime rates in Ottawa since the Convoy arrived, and no acts of violence ascribable to any of the Ottawa Convoy participants and having complied with numerous requests made of the Convoy to address concerns raised by the citizens of Ottawa.
4. The Canadian Charter of Right and Freedoms guarantees “Fundamental Freedoms” including “freedom of peaceful assembly; and freedom of association” (Section 2 of the Constitution).
5. The issue before Canadians is no longer just one of eliminating COVID-related restrictions (as important as that is). By invoking the federal Emergencies Act in the complete absence of any reasonable justification, Justin Trudeau is setting a dangerous precedent that threatens the right of all Canadians to peaceful assembly and association/ protest.
Please include your name and address (with postal code) in your email.
Contact info for MPs:
Important Links for Further Info:
Call to Action info: https://tbof.ca/emergency-call-to-action/
Parliamentary Schedule: https://www.ourcommons.ca/en/parliamentary-business/2022-02-20
MP Contact Info: https://www.ourcommons.ca/Members/en/search